Girls are constantly exposed to hypersexual images of girls and women in media, advertising and online.
No matter how much you try to prevent it, children and youth will be exposed to sexual content. Given this reality, girls need reliable information that will help them recognize messages that over-sexualize and target girls as naive consumers.
What can I do as a parent or educator?
- Take the time to learn more about the issue of hypersexualization;
- Suggest games and videos listed on this site to help her understand more about the issue;
- Be open and honest with her about what she is seeing and hearing in the media;
- Work to create a positive environment in your home or school so that she is comfortable to ask questions and bring up issues of concern;
- Let her know that you are available to listen and answer questions.
Hypersexualization can be an uncomfortable topic for everyone. Talking about it can help girls make wise choices.